Friday, September 19, 2014
I do hope you all have been well.
Thank you for your comments and
a big WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!
Do you need a little kitchen? Some of
the miniature dollhouse kitchens are
a little bigger than I need or want.
I need an apartment size kitchen.
It took me a few days in my boxes to find something
suitable. I came up with this baby changing table and pad. It was
missing a drawer so I decided this would work. I am
not very good with wood, so for me it is best
that I find something that will work.
It was the correct size.
This will be the kitchen for apartment 7.
I liked the fact that it was wood, old looking and
already painted white.
So this is what I did. I took out the shelves. These
are going in another project. I took out the long
shelf that was between the drawers. I could have
left it there, but I decided that it would have to be
removed if I wanted to put something large there.
Best to remove it. At this time I was planning on
using one of those condiment plastic things from a
fast food place. A friend gave me this one. My hubby
measured and then cut open the space for it.
I tore off the 2 side pieces that was on top that held
the pink pad in place. The plastic sink was okay, but
I did not like the fact that it did not fit very well in
the front. I guess I could have trimmed off some of
the flashing but looking at it, I decided that the sink
would look too thin. Notice how the flashing helps
to hide the raw edges of where my hubby cut the
My daughter Pep decided to take some pink clay
and make me one. While the clay was being formed
and she constantly kept making sure that the sink
would fit the opening. When she was done I took
this little faucet and bore a hole at the top with the
faucet and then took it off. Then Pep baked it.
I like all of the marks that is on the side of the
sink. It looks well used. And has character.
After it baked and cooled only for about a couple
of minutes I took the hot sink and very carefully
wedged it into the space.
I need to mix up some glue with white paint and
put that around the sink to act as caulking. I took
a very thin coffee stirrer and made an indention
at the bottom of the sink. I did not remove the clay
because I wanted it too look like the stopper was
pink and was still in the drain hole. Then I put glue
on the faucet and set in place.
I should have pressed it more firmly on the right
side but that is okay. I am not looking for perfection
here. Besides the inside will not be seen.
Afterwards, I took clear fingernail polish and coated
the outside and the inside.
I painted several coats of the fingernail polish
on the inside of the sink for extra glossiness.
Thank you for visiting me!