Friday, January 28, 2011

Widow Sarah's Apartment

The first apartment to be wallpapered is
finally finished. This
apartment is located on the 3rd floor. I totally
forgot to give the measurements of the building.
Each of these apartments are of my design. It
surely isnt easy trying to fit in everything but
if you think in terms of a mobile home then its
not too bad.
So I will give the measurements to you now.
The width of each apartment is 16 inches.
That is going from the very back wall
to the front. The length
is 23.5 inches. As you see in the
apartment that figure is going from the
left side window to the right side of the
windows.



All of the floors in these apartments
are cloth. They look like wooden
floors & are very convincing in looking like the
real thing. I bought this fabric
back in the 90's in Oklahoma. All I had to
do was glue it down into place.
The refrigerator, sink & stove
are not glued in at all. They can
be moved if I want to rearrange
them somewhere else later on.
For how I want to arrange this
apartment - this is the best place
to put them. I love how you enter
into the apartment thru the kitchen.
This kitchen set was part of
a larger set. I turned the
corner piece into a sink area
by cutting a big enough hole
in it to insert a little plastic butter
tub. You know those little butters
that are in restaurants. You peel
back those little tinfoil wrappers
& dip out your butter. I dont even
think that restaurants carry them
anymore. That's what the sink is.
This photo shows the front
of the building from the inside.
The curtains were made from
an old elongated doily that
had holes in it. It was still
pretty & had an old feel to it.
I liked the little roses & the
lightly gathering on the bottom
in it. When I cut this doily &
hung them up on the wall - I
didnt hem any of it. I wanted
it to feel that they had seen
their better days. Yea, I
still aint finished - the entire
apartment still needs baseboards,
ceiling trims & window moldings.
Not to mention I have to find
the plastic inserts that represents
the window glass.
Here's another view
of the kitchen. It shows
the front door better.
This area is made from cardboard
because I suck at making anything
out of wood! Is anybody else
like that?
There needs to be a
pot rack or shelf above
that stove and a rag rug
by the front door.
Yea - you can see my
boo-boo's in the corner.
But thats alright because
this apartment building has
been around since the 1800's
Nothings straight or plum. In
fact the entire building has cracked.
It's had many owners & they keep updating &
renovating it. Good thing that the
pipes were enclosed years ago.
This is the back side of the apartment.
The lonely window that you see is
really the front of the building.
Right now it faces my wall.
Underneath all of those layers
of wallpaper are some boarded
up windows. I need to find all
of those trims so the landlady
can fix those windows & baseboards.
Heating & cooling gets expensive
you know. And the tenant that lives
here might not be able to pay for all
of those extra bills. The landlady better
hurry up!

No comments:

Post a Comment